Are you Joker, King or Queen?

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Old/New Nightwish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:04 am

That was unexpected, wasn´t it albino

Do you listen to Nightwish? Why? Which are your favourite albums, songs, lyrics, riffs, melodies, band members, live shows, pictures... anything bounce

I have to confess- I´m a Nemokiddy! Tanana santa Laughing

btw, excuse me for this stupid title but the forum says: The length of the title for this topic must be ranging between 10 and 255 characters. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thequeenofice.blog.cz
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 pm

When DPP came out I thought it was pretty much OK, and I still enjoyed many of the songs - mainly for their musical content though, it must be said. However it also is the only album that contains any songs that makes me want to stick knives in my ears (For the Heart...; Cadence...) In the last few months though I realized I barely listened to any songs from there at all, and that my feelings about the next album are pretty close to apathy. I guess this puts me firmly in the 'old era' camp, though I can say that this was not a conscious choice and I did my best to give them a chance, bitterness aside. Razz

I have seen them live once in 2008, and the highlight of the show for me was Emppu running up and down the stage like a manic, leaping up and down like a jumping-jack... he is a funny guy!

As for old era albums, I find it really hard to pick, but I think the albums Oceanborn and Wishmaster really, for me, sum up the magic of Nightwish at its best. That said, Once gets points for containing Ghost Love Score, and Angels Fall First has a special kind of innocence about it that makes me particularly love it. cat It makes me happy that the Nightwish songs Tarja is singing these days tend to come from these early albums. It is great to hear them now that her voice has matured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jimi B
Property of Naiad

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:09 pm

I was introduced to NW by Nemo, I used to listen to it obsessively, on the way to work, at work (being manager had its perks) on the way home from work, and so on and so on, until I finally bought Once... then that went on continuously. Eventually my buddy from work bought me a different album album... I forget which one... out of frustration of hearing Nemo ALL the time, and while I listened to it a fair bit I mostly stuck to Nemo... So yeah I guess I'm 'old' Nightwish, since I've only listened to 2 of their albums in their entirety.

... Yeah I know, sacrilegious!

All the best indie and mainstream Music, Movies, Comics and Games... plus a little nonsense!

Last edited by Jimi B on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.JustSandN.com
Myla
Little Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:18 pm

I still remember the first time I heard Nightwish! Laughing
Actually, I were about 9 years old, and my brother were listening to the albumWishmaster, but I can't remember which song. So I said him that I liked that song, and I asked of were singing, and the name of the band! Razz But as I were a child, that was enough to me! Laughing

So, in 2004, when I were in my father's house I was watching TV and then started the video of Nemo! cheers OMG, I just loved that song! It was the first time I liked some song that much! Laughing
Then I searched about the band on the internet, I downloaded "Once" and I couldn't stop listening! Laughing I listened while I was going to school, backing home, eating, studying, sleeping! Laughing Really, it was exactly like that!

Then, I became a huge Tarja's fan! Twisted Evil

I still like Nightwish a lot, I saw them in 2008 and I had a really great time!
Emppu was so funny! I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tarjabrasil.com
Novaë

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 pm

I don't listen NW anymore, no away. It was so dificult to me accept other vocalist... i don't like Anette and her voice. I really tried, but... dunno. Everytime when talking about "the new Nightwish" i get angry u_u

My favourite albums are Oceanborn, Once and Wishmaster.

Fantasmic, Passion And The Opera, She Is My Sin, Gethsemane, Ghost Love Score, Elvenpath, End of All Hope, Away, Feel For You, Dead Boy's Poem... Well, all songs.

I love Marco's voice, he has so talent!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Heh, it seems most of us were ensnared by Nemo... that is how I heard of Nightwish as well. If it were not for my nan I might never have listened to them - she was doing the ironing and I had left the rock channel on the TV. When Nemo began to play she called me in because Tarja had long black hair, and I had long black hair, and wasn't it such a funny coincidence that two people with long black hair could exist, and I must come and look! tongue Anyway, I was not impressed by the resemblance, but I did rather fall in love with the song. The rest, as they say, is history. cherry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eressa

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 pm

The very first song I heard of them was "Swan heart" and I was like "OMG what is it!" It had guitars and drums and an opera like voice!

I had never in my life listened to something like that and I was really impressed. I didn't know how to call this genre so I called it "Heavy Classics" lol!

My favorite album has to be Ocean Born, and the least favorite I think it is Once, except for Ghost Love Score. I tried to listen to DPP... I really did but it just didn't reach me. I only listened to it about 4 or 5 times and then it was forgotten... I have forgotten most of its melodies actually. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naiad
Mistress

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Well, I got into Nightwish when my cousin gave me this CD that had a lot of metal bands and songs, the name Nightwish caught my attention, and the first track I listened to was Astral Romance. I absolutely loved it, then next I heard Deep Silent Complete and I never looked back. It's still my very favorite song. I listened to the songs a lot, then I downloaded more, and I fell in love more, and it was actually a while before I even saw a picture of the band, then of course I saw Tarja and I was like Cool.

Then of course, I bought at least 3 copies of all the albums, so on and so forth.

The same thing that happened to Tosca happened to me, at first I was like "...eh I dun wanna" about listening to new Nightwish, but eventually I listened, and there are about 2 songs I like from it, one being The Islander, I finally saw them live in 2009 and the highlight of the whole thing was staring at sweaty Tuomas, but Anette's voice live sucks majorleedonkey in Nightwish. (I like her in Alyson). And to be honest, I even don't listen so much to old Nightwish anymore, mostly because it makes me sad and nostalgic and a lot of the time I cry a little bit... so... yeah, it wasn't deliberate on my part to stop listening, especially after I listened to almost nothing but Nightwish/Tarja nearly a decade.

So there's my little story. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://anteroomofdeath.motionforum.net
Evie

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:50 pm

I was in love with Nightwish. Firstly I came through their music in 2002 or so. I love Tarja and her voice. I really adore Tuomas as a composer. I wish him to compose really big soundtrack. DPP is a masterpiece but it doesnt suit to Anette´s voice. I am really interested in their new album. Even though Nightwish will never be Nightwish.

My most favourite saying:
"Nightwish lost everything what people loved on them, and it reminded Tarja." - I truly believe in this

Most beloved album:
Century Child

Songs:
Ever Dream, Elvenpath, Come Cover Me, She is my sin.. OK I can stop I dont want to spam whole page Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.winterstormslovakia.com
crucified_vampire

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Getting into Nightwish was a process for me. I didn't even know there were metal bands with felame singers until I read a magazine that featured Tristania in it, that was in 2002. I thought it was interesting and asked my brother to download it for me and burn a cd with some of their songs. I loved it and as I wasn't used to grunts my brother told me that a friend of his had a cd from a band that I'd like even more, and that was Century Child by Nightwish. Razz
I loved Tarja's voice like I never loved anything, but disliked NW lyrics since day 1 and the music was just ok. But as it was the only ay to listen to Tarja I bought all their albums. I like all their albums(except for DPP) equally, but Wishmaster is the one I like less. it sounds too generic imho. Favourity songs: The Siren, Romanticide, Stargazers, Bless The Child and Slaying The Dreamer.

Then tarja got sacked and the drama started. I bought DPP, gave it a chance and it didn't stay longer than 1 week in my stereo. I don't like Anette's voice, and live she's the worst female singer I've heard in this kind of music. the music had too much orchestra and too little band. And since then nothing musically coming from them interests me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whutnot

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:36 pm

i actually first heard WIHAA back in 2004 over the credits of a crappy horror film and immediately fell in love with it. we don't have stuff like that here in the US (lols, the really funny thing is that i was originally really intimidated by Tarja vocals. i thought they were soo huge and overwhelming. it wasn't until much later that i realized that on Once she's actually holding back!) but i didn't know at the time who sang it and i was somehow stupid and didn't look it up on the internet, so i eventually forgot about it.

then in 2008 i randomly bought and Apacolyptica song, and itunes told me that i should also look at Nightwish, so i did, and i have to admit (and as a proud Tarjaholic, i am shamed by this) i actually really was dawn in by Amaranth. so i bought a few songs and i realized that there were two different singer, so i looked them up and was surprised to see that they had fired their original singer. so i had a few songs for several months before i decided that i like them enough to buy more. that's when i bought WIHAA, and i kind of freaked out when i realized that i already knew this song. that's when the obsession truly began.

i don't listen to any songs from DPP anymore. after hearing old era songs, they just seem to lack something (and i know what that something is) so i am firmly and Old Era fan.

Once is my favorite album because of GLS, Planet Hell, Dark Chest, WIHAA (it has a special place in my heart), Higher Than Hope. i really like the whole album. but i like all the albums with Tarja. its impossible, really, to choose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whutnot.deviantart.com/
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:41 am

okay dookay, me iz a huge Anette and new Nightwish fan, I can´t get enough of DPP in the last months I love you all their songs are amazing (except for Angels fall first, I don´t like it at all), but for me DPP contains something so extraordinary and special... aww I love you I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Karina

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am

My first encounter with Nightwish was some time around 2000 or so, when "Stargazers" was on a Sampler in an Rock Hard issue. It was so special and new that I bought "Oceanborn" very soon and I totally fell in love with this band and this beautiful lady. She was a lot different than today though. She always seemed a bit shy and she also had a little more weight than today and I admired her for her looks. Smile
So yeah... Tarja is a part of my life for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eressa

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

I think Daniela is trying to test if this forum is a tolerant as it claims itself to be Twisted Evil You gotta love the girl lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Almagest
Protector of Tarja's Craziest Fangirls

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Ohh, finally a victim to test the "ignore" function on Twisted Evil I love having guinea pigs available *rubs hands* Mr. Green

Well, my story is (not unexpectedly) rather strange and convoluted ... Ten years ago, I was a new netizen and a total metal noob. Close to the end of the year, one of my newfound buddies sent me some MP3s. Curiously, the first Nightwish piece I heard, which also happened to be the first metal piece I listened to consciously (I think), didn't involve Tarja's vocals at all, for it was Moondance. I was suitably amazed by the combination of heavy metal with classical and folksy tinges, and I commented that it sounded rather like a Russian folk dance. Then, my buddy sent me Sleeping Sun, and I was swept off my feet. Although I liked what I knew of hard rock very much (you know, the standards: Born to be Wild, Smoke on the Water, The Final Countdown, Rock You Like a Hurricane, the big Queen hits ...), I had reservations about heavy metal which I merely conceived of as an even "harder" form of hard rock, and I was utterly surprised to found out that there was heavy metal that is truly beautiful. It led me to theorise that, as (rock) music becomes more and more extreme, it is bound to eventually "run off the edge" and re-appear at the mellow end, or so. It also vindicated (in my eyes) a claim that another buddy later communicated to me, namely that metal is derived from classical music. Eh ... you see.

That by itself may be a quirky enough reaction, but the most surprising outcome was that - even though I later became familiar with other Nightwish songs I fell in love with (Walking in the Air, AFF, OTHAFA) - I didn't become a real fan, nor did I run out to get everything Nightwish I could find, and probably as a consequence of my noobness, I somehow couldn't really get into the faster songs that people sent me, for example Wishmaster. Though, funny enough, as a big Xena fan, I turned to Sinergy when I found out about them and became a fan of Kimberly Goss. In hindsight, it seems that my enthusiasm was more based on personal sympathy than appreciation for the music itself, although I was genuinely into some of their tunes at least (also loving the guitar solos, at least) - I guess I just didn't take the time to really get into the music, because after all, Nightwish's music at the time wasn't so different, perhaps even a tad more accessible. However, for years I remained somewhat lukewarm about Nightwish, liking them and of course especially Tarja, but not loving them. I even went to see them in January 2003 when an occasion presented itself, but as a consequence of several factors, including the fact that I didn't really know most of the songs, I turned out not to enjoy the concert all that much. In 2004, I noticed that "Nemo" was advertised on German TV (in the teaser for "Charmed") and there were posters in town featuring a cowboy hat sporting Tarja, which I thought was pretty weird, but it had no further consequence. When I learned of Tarja's dismissal in 2005 I was pissed at comments directed against Tarja I found on Usenet, but it didn't affect me all that much - in hindsight, probably a good thing.

Mainly because of Sinergy and meeting some online friends, I even attended Wacken Open Air in 2002, a quite brave endeavour for me at the time, and as it introduced me into bands like Blind Guardian, In Extremo and Haggard, it was doubtless a very valuable experience. I also tried to get into more metal but the fact that the web radio streams that I found at the time seemingly invariably played tunes involving extreme vocals, which I absolutely couldn't stand at the time, whenever I tried them, kept me from exploring the genre. (However, a girl at university shared Rammstein's first album with me, so I became more familiar with them, having only known "Sonne" before.) Only when I discovered Pandora.com (a web-based customisable radio stream based on the Music Genome Project) and another friend from university shared his music with me did I finally fall into love with Nightwish, discovered many other symphonic/power/progressive metal bands, and slowly got used to harsh vocals (in small doses, such as in Sirenia). After some time of hesitation because there were confusingly many releases by now and I couldn't decide on which of them to purchase, I eventually assembled all the albums and DVDs and joined the Nightwish forum, psyched by Once in particular at the time.

When the first glimpses of DPP came around in the form of the diary, I was duly impressed, though the chorus of TPATP whose lyrics Tuomas revealed in an interview made me go "uh-oh, this is a joke, right? Those lines sound SERIOUSLY stupid". The first impressions of the new singer were expectedly positive, but (although moved at first listen) I was only mildly impressed by "Eva" and the vocals, song and voice reminding me of Within Temptation more than anything else, a band that my interest for had already begun to wane at the time (same with Evanescence). Moreover, I thought that the screaming guitar solo sounded out of place. This was also the time when I joined last.fm. When I heard the first samples of other DPP songs, I wasn't too keen on them, finding the guitars and drums too drowned in the orchestra, but most of all I didn't like the vocals on them, and the more I listened to the samples, the more I began to be annoyed by them. When the lyrics for BBB and MPG in particular were posted on the forum, I was pretty dismayed and thought they were rather awful even apart from the content and the fact that they had no class whatsoever, and the discussions they spawned, including a generally rougher climate more hostile towards Tarja and those who still liked her, so I silently backed out of the forum, changed to the Tarja forum, and never looked back. Initially, I hadn't paid much attention to Tarja's solo album plans, but now I followed them with piqued interest, and while the resulting work didn't blow my mind, I found it interesting and heartfelt sounding enough, and growing on me quickly instead of "ungrowing" on me that I stayed committed. The rest, as they say, is history.

My enthusiasm for Once has worn off considerably in the meanwhile, but some of the songs I'd never been much into anyway. I have very mixed feelings about this album nowadays, I feel it is very inconsistent. A few of the songs are great, a few are pretty cool, a few are nice, but drag, the rest is weak - I just don't care for them anymore. Century Child is pretty much hit and miss for me, too. My favourites are clearly Oceanborn and Wishmaster, with Tarja's vocal operatics and the band's ambition at their peak, and I like AFF a real lot as well - I'm a big fan of the Lappi suite, in particular. Smile

So, uhm, that's my story. Sorry for boring you. x)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/florianblaschke
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Almagest wrote:
My favourites are clearly Oceanborn and Wishmaster, with Tarja's vocal operatics and the band's ambition at their peak, and I like AFF a real lot as well
*high fives* cheers
That was thorough indeed. Razz And a pretty meandering journey! It is interesting to see all the ways that people get drawn into a fandom. I also didn't exactly become a fan immediately. I mean, after listening to Nemo, I checked out a lot of Nightwish's other stuff - in fact I believe I downloaded everything, because at 13 or so I was brain-numbingly ignorant and believed it to be perfectly legal to do that ^^; - and when my MP3 died I forgot to keep listening to them or something. I remember being at a friend's house a couple of years later, listening to her MP3 while we played pool, hitting a NW song and being like, "OMFG, NIGHTWISH? WHEE, NIGHTWISH!!" I believe I was thoroughly antisocial for the rest of the evening and refused to give back the MP3 til I went home. Mr. Green And by then I had discovered awesome things like internet forums, saw that the band was split up, and headdesked. x)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LuciferAmadxander

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks for the post, Almagest. It's long but exciting. So, can I say you're now a fan of Tarja?

Well, for me, I'd come to know Nightwish through the song Nemo. It was by chance that I found the song on youtube while looking for an AMV from an anime called "Inu Yasha" (weird). At first, I did not even know it was called symphonic/gothic metal. I did not even know what metal is. So I just listen to it like any other pop songs in my playlist. Fortunately, I introduced that song to a friend and surprisingly he had known that song long time ago. He told me that the song is classified as Gothic Metal and added that this genre attracts not many people into it. After hearing so, I don't know why I felt extremely happy like I had just discovered something ... that is of my own, and no one's else. Then, I looked for more Nightwish song on the internet and found Sleeping Sun and the others. By and by, my interest for Nightwish and Symphonic metal grew higher and higher. Now I'm totally a fan of Nightwish. (Sure)

I have listened to nearly every song from every Nightwish Album and, I have to admit that each song brought me very different emotions and excitement. Even now, when Nightwish changed their vocal, their song still shine, exceptionally musical and lyrical parts. I'm in love with the way Toumas uses metaphors and how he arranges the orchestral pieces together in a song.

Still, if you'd ask me which singer I prefer, then I'd choose Tarja for sure. Though DPP may be a great instrumental masterpiece, it fails to give me deep emotions as I've ever feel when listening to old Nightwish songs. I can say, Annete's vocal is but ordinary and sounds like other bands' vocal nowadays.

That's all. Well, sorry for my bad English cause I live in Vietnam where this language is not a secondary language.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm

LuciferAmadxander: Of course you can! Smile It's interesting how you thought of Nightwish as a special discovery of yours ... I thought of it like that at some point as well, and as delusional it may be it is certainly a captivating thought, if only because it strokes your little big ego. Mr. Green

Speaking of stroking egos, I'm not trying to flatter you when I say that your English is really damn fine and I was utterly surprised when I got to the end of your post and you said you're from Vietnam (whow!), you could have claimed you're native and I wouldn't have doubted it (only perhaps on closer analysis Wink).

By the way, welcome to the forum! Have you seen the introduction thread in the "Welcome" forum? It's really fun and you're free to keep your introduction as terse or expansive as strikes your fancy (minding the technical limits of the forum, of course, heheh). Very Happy

Well, I'm not denying that when it comes to compositions and musical ideas, there may be a lot of intriguing stuff found on DPP, but the whole changed image of the band, even the band photos, just totally threw me off. It was like ... so perfectly fitting my taste once ... and now it's like the polar opposite.

Oh, and after barely listening to Nightwish for a year I finally understood how people say their melodies are too sugary. >_< They really are sometimes! I especially feel that way with the Century Child album, and also with Once - they just feel so awfully ... slick - though I find that the older albums have aged better in my mind not only in that respect (even though they're totally "flower metal" in a way).

Ah, another curiosity is that even though I was familiar with the Nightwish forum at the time, I only hung out at the Sinergy forum and so I learned of the news of Marco changing to Nightwish from a quite different, even opposite perspective; something that's probably pretty unique among Nightwish fans (although I believe that at least one girl hung out at bpth forums). Kimberly was seriously mad about that - her reaction is reproduced in the NW bio, as well.

Tosca: *highfives back* Very Happy

Thing is, I don't like downloading stuff on my own. >_> Only when people offer me something of their own accord I won't say no (polite person that I am, LOL). I know it's not a single shred more legal or morally justifiable, but I'm that way ... it's one of my countless quirks. x)

Also, constraints of time, money and harddisk space limit my musical horizon. But it's one of the reasons why I don't know a lot of music that I may be expected to know. What I know can be pretty random at times. I also don't like to check out songs from albums that I still plan to purchase some time. Not having had a parent or older brother introduce me to the wonders of rock or other music (apart from the kind that's as mainstream as it can get so I can impossibly miss it even when it try, though so far I've done fine avoiding Ms. Germanotta because I've been warned their horrible earworms and I'm very prone to getting earworms, which makes it doubly as bad and I'm avoiding her like the plague, and for the same reason I avoid neo-NW as well because I really don't want to get Anette's voice stuck in my head, sorry) is also something I find a little bit sad ... as is not learning to play the piano when I was young and still had plenty of time (another somewhat strange story - apparently I really wanted piano lessons when I was 8 or 9 years old, but it didn't get through to my parents, and I got accordion lessons instead, which in hindsight really seems not to have been entirely without any positive effects but it was a very frustrating experience because I just couldn't handle the instrument, or simply wasn't that interested in it). Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 am

Eressa wrote:
I think Daniela is trying to test if this forum is a tolerant as it claims itself to be Twisted Evil You gotta love the girl lol!
I somehow felt my post wouldn´t be considered seriously Laughing
Back to top Go down
LuciferAmadxander

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Anette has announced that she'd begun to record the new songs. Also, she said that the new album would turn out to be special... hmm I wonder how special it's gonna be @@
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manxita

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:24 am

I heard about Nightwish (by name) a long time ago...I had a boyfriend (ex-boyfriend now) around 2001/2002 who was into the Gothic subculture, and he listened to a lot of Gothic bands. He had a photo of Tarja in is bedroom but he never listened to Nightwish, as he felt it was for "newbies", music that got you into that world, but trivial once you listened to other bands.

Fastforward to some years after that, one of my best friends lent me the Once CD to listen, and I loved it! And I wondered why I hadn't listened to this band before...we were even going to go to their concert here in Buenos Aires, but we finally couln't make it (I can't remember exactly why, I think it was money issues at the time)and we thought, "well, we'll go next time, they come with every tour, so...", and some months after that, the band dismissed Tarja Mad

I have mixed feelings about DPP, I really like some songs, and I relly don't care much for others. I have nothing against Anette, and I think she's a pretty decent singer, but I don't like her voice for Nightwish, she sounds so much better when she sings other stuff, like the song she did with The Rasmus.

I went to their concert here in 2008 anyway, and I enjoyed myself but I couldn't help but feel like something was missing...something wasn't right...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Obscured

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm

i dot into nightwish in the first half of 2009, cause i saw this ''Tarja'' ( lol! ) was coming to my country, and I was like ''who the hell is Tarja and why are their fans so freaked out about it? '' (and i'm one of those fans now Laughing ) so i got to wikipedia and learned that she used to be in a band called nightwish, so the first thing i heard was POTO and nemo (end of an era version) and I fell in love!! i had never heard before metal and opera together never in my life! then after hearing lots of nightwish with one singer i went to listen the other singer (Annete in this case) and it was such a downer : S since then i started listening to old nightwish like crazy, bought all the albums, all the dvd's (the first recording I ever had of them was the end of an era dvd) but now i am surely a Tarjaholic! and here i am, all grumpy waiting for my what lies beneath Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MoonSorrow

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 am

I have heard about Nightwish since 2000 , I guess one of the first songs I heard was Sleeping Sun or Wishmaster. I kinda ignored them, because I was much more into hard rock stuff rather than metal. First time I payed attention to them it was with Century Child when I heard the Phantom of The Opera. I was totally blowned away by that cover but still I wasn't so much into them even though I listened to Wishmaster and Oceanborn. I started to get really excited about the band with Once, which was a nice surprise and I still consider it one of their best albums together with Oceanborn. So I re-listened to all their discography and I was addicted Laughing . I still remember the first time I listened to AFF . It was such an experience.
I've always liked their sound with the combination of Tarja's vocals.
I still like them a lot, but not so much as the first 5 album. The problem is not only Anette, who is not exactly a fitting voice for NW sound (in my opinion) , DPP tends to bore me a little. Maybe it's the overuse of orchestra in certain songs..while in Once it was pretty balanced. However there are still some very good moments in DPP .

I know some people complain about NW lyrics being "emo" and so on. I don't think like that, I quite like the way Tuomas takes hints from here and there and make them personal.

I've seen them with Tarja in october 2004, it was a great concert. I've seen NW with Anette 3 times but it wasn't the same.
I've followed all the mess after the firing Laughing . It was pretty ridiculous at some point in 2005-2006, I remember people were already pointing at a triangle drama even before Marcelo published his truth . Maybe he took some hints Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Twiekieman

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:01 am

It was early 1997 when i heard a song that was (and still is) unique, i also had never heard of the band till then!
The band: Nightwish, the song: Angels Fall First.
Since that day this is my favorite band, before i was a hardcore Depeche Mode, Status Quo and Iron Maiden fan, i still am of course but Nightwish is definitely from another higher level... Laughing

Since 1997 i have followed them through the years, but strangely enough the first time i saw them live was at Lowlands in 2005 where i had the opportunity to speak with Tuomas..... for a minute or 2, it was great to speak with such a gifted composer.
Months later the MAGIC was gone, the band fired Tarja for reasons that are still food for thought...
A new vocalist joined them but the harm was already done, lots of fans turned against Nightwish, especially against Tuomas because he was seen by many fans as the 'evil dude' behind the 'conspiracy'...
The way the 'fairytale' ended was not so nice but tarja had told the guys way earlier that the coming album would be her last with the band!

Nightwish moved on and released their DPP-album, surprisingly a fantastic album although it was clear that the amjority of the songs was written for Tarja's voice, Anette did nonetheless a great job although LIVE she made mistakes..!
In march 2009 i saw Nightwish 4 times and i had the time of my life, sure the music has changed slightly to make it more accessable for more people but in the core the band is still Nightwish, listen to 'the Poet & the Pendulum' and i hope you see my point!

In 2005 during the last End of an Era concert in Helsinki there was a performance from John Two Hawks, this Lakota native american made a tremendous impression.
In an interview he told that although he is a real metalfan he never had encountered a band with such qualities as Nightwish, music and lyrics are in general exceptional and the combination of these with Tarja's voice was unique.
He also stated that he and Tuomas talked about to make an album in the future, maybe this is what Tuomas meant on the Nightwish website with that 'the new album (late 2011) will have songs that are different then all what Nightwish have made before.....'

Thankfully it's good to notice that Nightwish has gained some 'old' fans again becaquse this band is still unique in it's own rights, it's still symphonic metal from a very high level but i really think that a classical voice is more suitable for Nightwish.
The future of the band is in my opinion is very positive and one thing what i really like to see is 'a duet' with Tarja, i know there are still open wounds but it's been already for more then 5 years and time is capable for healing wounds... Question

About the coming album i have no idea what to expect, on the new album will be a song of more then 15 minutes (according to Tuomas), even Marco's voice will be challenged so i think Tuomas is definitely pushing the envelope...., hopefully without losing his artistic quality....!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Almagest

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Twiekieman wrote:
The way the 'fairytale' ended was not so nice but tarja had told the guys way earlier that the coming album would be her last with the band!
Actually I remember it different, she said she would record another album after Once (i. e. what would be DPP) but she didn't want to do another tour ... which would have been strange, but also fair because it would have given the guys enough time to find a new frontwoman, preferrably one who would be able to sing classical - for example someone like Gaby Koss who sings both classical music and real pop style, unlike Tarja who always uses the classical technique even when she tones her voice down in some songs.

Twiekieman wrote:
Thankfully it's good to notice that Nightwish has gained some 'old' fans again becaquse this band is still unique in it's own rights, it's still symphonic metal from a very high level but i really think that a classical voice is more suitable for Nightwish.
I'm OK with that (returning), but I'm mainly incredibly annoyed by metal fans who never praised Nightwish before Tarja left but said they were cheesy and commercial, or said they had sold out with Once, but now they use every occasion to gush about what a great songwriter Tuomas is and how Tarja is only a singer and no good without his songs, even though her style is completely different than his and her music quite unique in its own right (if people cared to actually pay attention). They still think that she should emulate (read: imitate) his style and hate her cover versions of hard rock classics for being different than the originals (while they praise Anette's interpretations of Nightwish classics for being sooo refreshing and original ...), unlike every other band which they criticise for imitating any other band's style or making covers that are slavish copies of the original. They act as if Tarja's band were amateurs and worse than Nightwish's musicians (just because Tarja's band does things differently) who they used to trash when she was still with them ... And when they say Tarja should emulate NW, they implicitly mean a NW that hasn't been around ever since Sami's dismissal, which is just hypocritical. Not to mention that Tuomas's part in songwriting has diminished ever since Oceanborn, but he still gets all the credit ... Rolling Eyes

Also in reviews, many criticisms just don't make sense or are contradictory. Evil or Very Mad

Or when Christofer Johnsson says that Anette fits NW so much better and Tarja sucks as a classical singer because she couldn't even sing Therion's vocal lines - but Anette can, right? Laughing

Like this: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/2372/meanme.gif Twisted Evil

Anyway, enough of that.

What are your favourite songs or goosebumps moments in every album?

For me (choosing less obvious ones):

AFF: Lappi, especially "This Moment is Eternity" - the "land of eagle" part
Oceanborn: Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean, the "set the dolphins free" part
Wishmaster: Wanderlust, especially the choral part at the end
OTHAFA: The choral part in OTHAFA (or the bridge in 10th Man Down)
Century Child: Dead to the World (or perhaps Feel For You developping to its climax)
Once: The Siren (the electric violin solo and the orchestral finale)
DPP: Eh, I only kinda liked Eva there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old/New Nightwish   

Back to top Go down

Old/New Nightwish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Anteroom of Death :: Off Topic :: Music-
Jump to: