Are you Joker, King or Queen?

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm

On the official forum, it gave me endless grief that whenever I was nostalgic and wanted to find a particular review about this or that gig, I had to trawl through a few month's worth of old threads in order to find a certain post. Suspect
So! In order to maximize fluffiness and avoid endless searching, how about we keep all our sentimental recollections in one place, and post all our old memories with Tarja and fresh reviews of her her upcoming gigs here?
Let the fuzziness commence! cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eressa

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

What a fantastic idea, Tosca!

Allow me, fellow forumites, to post one I did last year.

Place: Mexico City
Venue: El Circo Volador
Date: May 16th, 2009.

Laces. Laces everywhere, and crosshatch, corsages, and Victorian like blouses and dresses.

That’s what I saw all around me in the about 1500 fans that went to see Tarja last night. I was quite surprised; I didn’t know she had such a strong hold over the gothic community in my country. Of course, the majority of the audience was also your regular fans with just a t-shirt and jeans, black t-shirts, of course. It must have been quite a view for those across the street, seeing a huge (and I mean HUGE) queue of people in black waiting to enter the venue.

El Circo Volador seems like a small venue, but in fact it can hold a lot of people, almost 2000 for what I’ve heard, and it is a very particular place; regarded as the cultural center for alternative music and the scenario of what many of us call “honest rock”. And this is where Tarja sang, in front of a vivid audience who would be like clay in her fingers, responding at her every movement, words and sign.

Before we could enter the venue we were given face masks and antibacterial gel, which was understandable, given the past flu outbreak, and many were expecting this, so several people took their own masks, some of them staying in style click and some other using it to show their support click.

The place filled up quite fast and the crowd was anxious and very excited. At every light change in the scenario or smoke from the smoke machine, people would scream, believing it was Tarja already coming out. I am glad there was no opening act because I honestly think the public wouldn’t have handled it well. All they wanted was Tarja, and once the band came out, the lights went out and a lithe figure in black and white came out, holding a white microphone, people went crazy. The screams were so loud I had to cover my ears for a few seconds. The energy around us was incredible.

So she appeared, waved while she went to the center of the scenario and delivered Lost Northern Star for us. The fork sign arose like waves from the crowd and we all headbanged to her rhythm.

Her next song was My Little Phoenix where she got us moving our arms from one side to the other and suddenly, the music changed abruptly and she surprised us with She is my Sin. Most in the public know her from Nightwish and the unsuspected song drove the audience crazy.

Damned and Divine was her next song. At this point a guy behind me shot “Tarja, I want a baby with you!” That really made me laugh. (He shouted it quite strong. I wouldn’t be surprised if she heard him). And then, another sweet surprise, Sleeping Sun’s notes started pouring out of Maria’s keyboard and we all fell under Tarja’s voice’s soft charm. Some people got lighters out. After this one she sang I Walk Alone and the whole Circo Volador sang along her.

After this, we got the obliged show by her incredible, incredible musicians. Let me tell you, it is very, very different to read about how good they are, or watching them in youtube, to actually seeing them in action. I can’t believe how talented they all are. Mike Terrana’s Juggling while delivering wild beats is awesome, and Doug’s talking guitar… they made us scream, yell and headbang at their will.

After this, Tarja came back again, wearing a strapless, black dress which showed that she had a nice time at the beach; the swimming suit marks were quite visible! She sang Ciaran’s Well and after that she regarded the audience, telling in beautiful Spanish that she was very glad to be back, and that she and her band never, ever had any doubt about singing for us, and that she’s expect the flu to go away. She already had us in her pocket but with this she got us all perpetually around her little finger.

She went on with Sing for me and Over the Hills, followed up by Poison which sounds way better live than in the album. I’d say this about all her songs. The energy and feel she pours into them are strong, beautiful and better than in her recorded versions. It is quite often that people get disappointed when they go see a band live and find out they aren’t that good. It is a pride and a pleasure to see that with Tarja it is the opposite.

Then another surprise, Wisdom of Wind and I mean a real surprise because almost no one in the public knew the song and there seemed to be a bit of disconcert about it. Before starting she told us “And now it’s time to get a bit quiet”. The audience kept screaming of course (that’s just how we are, we scream) but little by little her voice won over us all and the whole place fell into silence, listening to her beautiful voice, as if hypnotized (a kid behind me took the opportunity to yell for “Nemo” but I shot him up. I just thought it was highly disrespectful).

She kept on with the soft songs and sang Minor Heaven, The Reign and then she told us her next song would be the last (with a strong “noooo!” as a response) and sang Die Alive of course, wearing the outfit from the video.

Of course we knew she’d come back but we still screamed her name along with “¡otra!, ¡otra!” (one more song) so the musicians and her returned to sing The Seer, The Kinslayer (where there was a slight out of tempo towards the end and Tarja seemed really confused for a few seconds) and Enough. After this they said good bye again, but again we asked for more, so she sang Oasis. Finishing that one, the band bowed and Mike threw his drum sticks to the crowd. Then he went wild and got a whole pack of sticks, which he gave to the whole band and they all threw them at the audience, and finally they left the scenario, but we asked for more, and more she gave. They returned and sang Nemo for the delight of the now almost aphonic crowd, who jumped, sang and headbanged along her.

And that was the end of that wonderful evening and the audience retired to the rhythm of “Tired of Being Alone”. Outside the merchandise (all of it unofficial) was selling like crazy. And there were many things like cups, posters, pillows, but what really called my attention was this, Saint Tarja. Click.

It was really amazing, an incredible experience. That woman has an undeniable charisma, a contagious smile, she manages the crowd in any way she wants and people respond to her with real passion. Even my husband who I dragged along and who really doesn’t like her that much, fell under her spell. Her voice live is powerful, full of feelings, beautiful, and her interpretations are energetic, vibrant, beyond what I could have imagined. Always with a smile on her face, playful eyes, and a very expressive body language. She would send kisses to the audience and would mutter thank yous and wave. It could be seen she was really grateful to be there singing for us, and that she was equally grateful that we were there for her. That has no price, knowing that she gives herself to her fans, and that she’s not only there for our money, but for us, really for us.

I can understand now the waves of admiration and Fanaticism this woman can incite, and I am very happy to have been able to live the whole Tarja Experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 am

Awwwwh! That was adorable. *_* Thank youuu, what a great way to start. sunny
And wow, she must have been really impressed with you guys to come out for three encores!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Myla
Little Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:43 am

Okay, here I post my review of the concert in 2008! *-*
But not now, going to work! rabbit
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tarjabrasil.com
Crysta

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:48 pm

The link doesn't seem to work
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/marina.kozlov?v=app_2309869772#!/marina.
Almagest
Protector of Tarja's Craziest Fangirls

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Lovely review, thank you, Eri!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.last.fm/user/florianblaschke
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 am

I remember translating your report for my fansite, Lara, it´s really nicely written Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thequeenofice.blog.cz
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Oh, thank God this forum has a spoiler code. Laughing I will write what I can remember from the concerts I have never written reviews for, stick them all into one post, and see how many of you go grey trying to read it. cat

...Might take awhile though. ¬¬
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suomi_Rocks

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm

^You should also gather here the ones you posted on the official forum. Razz I remember that the ones from the VIP lunch in London and from the Christmas concerts (2009) were so lovely, but, as you said, I would go gray trying to find them there. Laughing
Sooo, if you have them saved somewhere... Mr. Green

Last edited by Suomi_Rocks on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 am

Back to top Go down
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:40 am

Daniela wrote:
No going gray, you just have to have a good memory Razz

http://www.tarjaturunen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=580631&highlight=#580631

http://www.tarjaturunen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=572265&highlight=#572265
Eheheh, thank you! Razz Saves me some trawling.
But I wasn't worried about my grey hairs, I meant that you will go grey when I post them all in one place. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suomi_Rocks

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Thank you, too, Danielle. Razz Those are just so adorable. cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whutnot

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm

gosh Tosca, i just love your reviews! they are so lovely and adorable!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whutnot.deviantart.com/
Daniela
Avantasian

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:32 am

Suomi_Rocks wrote:
Thank you, too, Danielle. Razz Those are just so adorable. cat
No problem... Sylvie Cool
Back to top Go down
Tosca
Front Row Girl

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:54 am

whutnot wrote:
Awh, thankies. cat Give me a week or so, I'll get them all up eventually. ^^;
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whutnot

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Tosca wrote:
whutnot wrote:
Awh, thankies. cat Give me a week or so, I'll get them all up eventually. ^^;

yay! i can't wait!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whutnot.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews   

Back to top Go down

The Archive of Fuzzy Concert Reviews
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1